Shot-in-the-Foot Watch

On this page you will find documentation of the trials and tribulations of the lucky few RCYC members who have earned the right to be considered for the coveted Shot-in-the-Foot award for 2013.  Photos of events will be provided if available.  We expect to conduct periodic polls throughout the year to determine front runners.

January 2013

Scott Willey.  After launching his Olson 29 Little Wing, Scott hastily attached his very expensive electric outboard motor.  While on the voyage out to his hydro-hoist, the mounting bracket for the motor broke.  The still running motor almost severed Scott’s extended appendages as it flipped off the bracket and  happily motored itself down to the bottom of  harbor.  Divers were hired and came back empty handed….except for a large amount of cash from Scott’s pocket.  Scott maintains the search is still ongoing and the eventual recovery of the wayward outboard will exclude him from this list.

David Hoye.  This event actually serves as an educational tale for all owners in the Melges 24 fleet.  In preparation for taking his keel into the speed shop for some much needed R&R, David, assisted by others that shall remain unnamed, was lifting “Rocket Science” off it’s keel using the blue hoist.  Problem was that the rig was still up on the boat.  When the keel parted ways with the hull, a slight gust of wind caused the boat to adjust itself to a more aerodynamic stance with the mast parallel to the ground.  The boat was quickly righted and no damage was incurred, but still worthy of a nomination.

February 2013

&John Hopper. It is no secret that this candidate covets the SITF Trophy and the details of this event seem strangely connected to the Scott Willey event.  While working on his hair-brained idea to convert the Gnat to an electric boat, &John removed the powerhead off his outdated gas saildrive engine.  He quickly regretted this as the shaft seals in the lower unit that still remained were shot.  Water began to flow steadily into the little boat.  Without a trailer, &John had two options; hang the Gnat off the blue crane until a trailer could be found or commandeer an available hydro-hoist.  He opted for number 2 and moved the Gnat over to Scott Willey’s hoist.  Bad choice.  Although the hoist could lift the boat, it could not keep it up.  The Gnat ended up nose down on the hoist.  Being Wednesday night, a crowd of helpers amassed and set to the task of getting the boat back in the water.  At the same time, &John with the help of George Hannan, were able to get the powerhead back on the lower unit using a generous amount of 5200.  The boat was floated and the leak was fixed.  The end result is &John now must pay extensive repairs to Scott Willey’s hoist and all plans of having a powered Gnat by Summer have been put on the shelf.



David Rapier. A strong candidate from the 2012 SITF class, when his Melges 24 “Fluffa” was blown down the end of the parking lot, across the grass and into the lake, David Rapier shoots to the top of this years competition with an encore performance.  After an aborted sail attempt, David pulled Fluffa out of the water and parked the boat at the end of the M24 lineup in its usual spot.  With no tie downs in his spot, David chalked the tires and went home.  That night, an unexpectedly strong line of thunderstorms brought 50+ MPH winds with it as it swept through the DFW area.  Fluffa was picked up tail first off it’s trailer and thrown down on her port side crushing the hull.  Boat may be a total loss.  Mother Nature does not like to be taunted.




Copyright © 2011 Rush Creek Yacht Club Sailing